High School Student in Virginia dies as a result of MRSA – unclean schools a risk to students

A 17 year old student from Virgina has died as a result of the superbug MRSA, which is normally associated with deaths in hospitals (especially in the U.K.). The students at Staunton River High School in Moneta Virginia, decided that they would not return to class until the school had been cleaned up. They got the message out to other students and used popular social programs such as Facebook to get their message out to other schools, that something had to be done about the cleanliness of their schools.

One of the students accompanied a school superintendent on a tour of the school, where she pointed out the lack of hygiene in the bathrooms and the hallways. The officials closed all schools in the county for a week in order to clean up the schools.

What is of grave concern, though, is that the death of this 17 year old from Virginia is not an isolated incident. School officials in Conneticut have confirmed that one student at Weston High and another at Newtown High have been diagnosed with MRSA. In Rockville, Maryland, at least 13 students have been diagnosed with MRSA. Cases have been reported in Ohio, Michigan and other states, including elementary school children.

A study published Wednesday in the Journal of the American Medical
Association estimates that MRSA infections occurred in nearly 95,000
Americans in 2005. Based on those figures, an estimated 18,650 people
died due to their MRSA infection in 2005. That death rate is higher
than the HIV/AIDS death rate for that year, and the number of MRSA
related deaths is much higher than previously thought.

Mshar, an epidemiologist for Connecticut’s Department of Health —
which contributed data to the JAMA study — said the consolidation of
statistics was groundbreaking. “This is the first time that
we’ve been able to measure this in a population basis in which we’ve
been able to quantify the impact,” she said. According to the Centers for Disease Control, some 25 to 30 percent of the population carry staphylococcus bacteria
— one of the most common causes of infection — in their bodies. While
such infections are usually minor, invasive MRSA infections can become
fatal because they are caused by drug-resistant staph. Dr. Julie
Gerberding, the director of the CDC, says these infections are not new.
“It’s important to appreciate that many of these infections are the
same infections moms have been dealing with for decades. They’re very
preventable,” she says. “If you see a skin infection that
looks like the redness is getting bigger or if it’s associated with a
lot of swelling around the wound or if the individual has a fever,
those are reasons to definitely seek doctor’s attention. But most of
the time these are things that can be treated with the same kind of
common sense approach that is we’ve been using for years.” Mshar emphasized that the highest rate of MRSA deaths — 58 percent — is found in hospitals.

It seems that it is not only the U.K. that needs to get its act together to ensure that these infections are kept under control. The death toll from these superbugs is much too high, and a lot more needs to be done about the cleanliness of the school toilets and hallways, as well as the general level of cleanliness inside the hospitals.

Powered by ScribeFire.


2 thoughts on “High School Student in Virginia dies as a result of MRSA – unclean schools a risk to students

  1. drmartind

    Henrico County and Culpeper (VA) now report MRSA incidents and are going through the same hoopla of
    acting as if they are doing something serious in response.

    All the cleaning, washing, disinfecting is quite temporary and of very limited value. Better
    than nothing, but not much better from a medical perspective.

    Better solutions are in widespread use in Canada, in Singapore, in hotels through SE Asia, and in
    hospitals, schools, universities, condos in USA and CA.

    Yes, I am directly involved in that.

    And as you might expect, knowing anything of Virginia politics and the “good old boy” way things are done in this state, in particular — Henrico County officials and Culpeper officials, including all of their school board members, stand out uniquely as having eschewed any communications, any meetings, anything period, to learn about what really works, as opposed to what what some “good old John” has been doing for the last 100 years. It is truly quite sad, in my opinion, when practical solutions are offered but simply ignored.

    More info is at these sites: http://tetradgroup.com/healthysafe or


  2. Maggie Post author

    Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment over what is becoming a real scandal.

    You have some positive things to say about the situation, although your comments do seem negative, they are positive because you have some idea about the state of the cleanliness of these schools.

    All school toilets etc should be kept in a clean and sanitary condition at all times. If what they need to use is hospital grade bleach, then that is what should be used by the cleaners every day.

    The school officials might change their tune about doing nothing if a parent decided to sue after a child has contracted MRSA and has died as a result. It might take the hip pocket nerve to get a good enough reaction from the authorities.

    There is no excuse for poor hygiene in public places, and especially in public schools. On the other hand it is also up to the children to adopt some healthier habits when it comes to infection and injury.

    Thanks for dropping by.

Comments are closed.